When was Hector a pup?

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 17 23:36:35 UTC 2000

WHEN WAS HECTOR A PUP?

"It's like the racial profiling business, which has gone on since Hector was
a pup and everybody knew about it."
--Nicholas von Hoffman, "America's Unspeakable Crime: Our Criminal Justice
System," NEW YORK OBSERVER, 20 March 2000, pg. 4, col. 4.

PATIENT:  You've gotta help me, doc.  I think I'm a dog!
PSYCHIATRIST:  How long have you thought you're a dog?
PATIENT:  Ever since I was a pup!
--Borscht Belt joke.

     Hector was a pup?!  All these years, and now I've been reading the ILIAD
all wrong!!
     It sounds like a line from Cole Porter.
     Burton Stevenson's QUOTATIONS has:

Way back when Hector was a pup.--H. S. KEELER, _The Sharkskin Book_ (1941).
He's been here for ages--since Hec. was a pup.--ANNE ROWE, _The Little Dog
Barked_ (1942).

    The American Memory database has WPA Life Histories, Bill Knox,
1938-1939(?):

    Wanted to keep it the same as it was when Hector was a pup.

I.P.O. (continued)

"...for much of Wall Street the letters I.P.O. have come to stand for
Immediate Profit Opportunity..."
--Christopher Byron, "Back of the Envelope" column, NEW YORK OBSERVER, 20
March 2000, pg. 1, col. 6.

    This IPO definition was not on Deja.com.