Russian racehorses, Cooter Brown

Joseph Carson samizdata at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Mar 18 01:06:09 UTC 2000

Yes, the "Russian racehorse" usage was lifted from the punchline to a
stupid joke that was making the rounds in eastern Iiowa in the early
1970s to the effect that Russian racehorses _had_ to run  faster than
those of any other nationality or they would presumably be served as
stew to prisoners in the Siberian gulag or some such, so that they would
deliberately "hold their load" until their races were run, to help lend
wings to their hooves meanwhile.  Stupid, yes, but widespread.

Regards, Joseph Carson