chain gangs and bucket brigades

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Mon Mar 20 17:45:17 UTC 2000

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Arnold Zwicky wrote:

}but is "bucket brigade"
}used in british english?

So far as I can tell, yes.  I just came across it last night reading a
Terry Pratchet book , _Fifth Elephant_.(I know, I should be reading
something like _Principles of Linguistic Change_, etc. :-)  ).  I've
noticed several other Britishisms in the book, leading me to suspect that
"bucket brigade" is not an attempt at using an Americanism (though I doubt
Pratchet would even bother).

--Aaron

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                  Departments of English Language and
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron       Theoretical & Applied  Linguistics

"MERE ACCUMULATION OF OBSERVATIONAL EVIDENCE IS NOT PROOF"
        --Death