Poor Boys

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 20 19:26:56 UTC 2000

James Smith writes:
>I've assumed (I know, never safe) that "hero" was
>derivative of Greek "gyro".

I wonder.  They're phonetically similar, but ethnically and culinarily
distinct.  Especially the latter; if the gyros sandwiches I've had in Greek
joints around the country since the mid-70's (large pita-like bread stuffed
with shaved lamb or beef from a rotating spit--whence the name--garnished
with tomatoes, cucumber, and a tasty cucumber-yogurt-type sauce, with hot
sauce optional) are indicative, there's very little relation to the hero
sandwiches I grew up on in both New York City and Maine in the 50's
(Italian bread seasoned with olive oil and stuffed with various Italian
cold cuts--genoa salami being the true essential, but joined by its
cousins--and cheese (usually provolone), as well as diced peppers, onions,
and crushed red pepper.  Besides being good for lunch, there's not much in
common between the two.  I'd never come across the "gyro" in New York in
the 50's or 60's, and we were always told the hero was so-called because
you had to be one to eat it all.  Of course, that COULD be a folk
etymology, but if so I have no idea what the true one is.

larry