"chain gang"

Bruce Dykes bkd at GRAPHNET.COM
Tue Mar 21 11:56:19 UTC 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Carson <samizdata at EARTHLINK.NET>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Date: Monday, March 20, 2000 9:01 PM
Subject: Re: "chain gang"

>Greetings to all ADS-Listers: There is the infamous "daisy chain," where
>STDs are passed along on in "bunny-hop" fashion (like the dance line,) and
>there is a name specific to the firefighting technique your citation
>describes, but I can't recall or relocate it. - Joseph Carson

While daisy chain would've been suitable, I find its use limited either to
technical (computer) environments, or for a chain that's less immediate than
a bucket brigade. For something that may get passed along a day later,
maybe.

And 'bucket brigade' raises the contrast between the UK's 'Fire Brigade' and
the US' 'Fire Department'...I tried hunting the original article down, but
the site is decidedly archive-surly.

I would find it interesting if the writer could use 'fire brigade' in the
article, and not use 'bucket brigade', even with a qualifier like 'reverse
bucket brigade' to indicate the change of direction...

It would be the same sort of block that keeps me from identifying chili con
carne as any sort of hash...

bkd