Poor Boys

Robert Kelly kelly at BARD.EDU
Wed Mar 22 02:00:39 UTC 2000

in NYC I grew up hearing only Greeks referring to gyros, but they did
pronounce it [gamma/iro] or [xiro], which is a natural enough hearing in
English as 'hero.'

But at the same time the sandwiches we're discussing were called in
Brooklyn 'submarine sandwiches' -- all those other names came later, post
1950.

The Greeks BTW did not say gyro sandwiches, just gyros.  They're not in
fact sandwiches -- though they are long, and do fold...