Poor Boys --> sandwiches

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Wed Mar 22 19:30:53 UTC 2000

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Beverly Flanigan wrote:

}The Scots word "piece" interests me.  I wonder if this is the source of the
}SoMid/Appalachian use of "piece" for "snack" (and "piecing" for
}"snacking")?

Wouldn't surprise me.  There's quite a bit of Scots influence in
SoMid/Appalachian (see Michael Montgomery's stuff for details). I'm
willing to bet that there's a large "Mc" section in the phone book, too.

I'll try to find the etymology of "piece".

--Aaron

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                  Departments of English Language and
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron       Theoretical & Applied  Linguistics

"MERE ACCUMULATION OF OBSERVATIONAL EVIDENCE IS NOT PROOF"
        --Death