Article from The American Prospect

Anne Lambert annelamb at GNV.FDT.NET
Thu Mar 23 19:29:00 UTC 2000

I was interested in reading this article.  I'd also be interested in
comments on the question: Will English always be the dominant language of
the world (not most spoken--Chinese is that--but used in international and
inter-language group communication everywhere)?
    My answer is No.  No international language has lasted forever--even
Latin or Greek.  My prediction is that at some time--maybe a hundred or two
hundred years in the future--some other language will arise and gradually
take the dominant place that English now has.  The most likely candidates, I
think, are Spanish and Chinese--although Chinese will have to be used in the
Pinyin spelling or whatever may replace it.
    R.M.W. Dixon suggests that in a few hundred years there will be only one
world language--not just one dominant language but one language.  I doubt
this also.