d"oner kebap

RABINRL at BUFFALOSTATE.EDU RABINRL at BUFFALOSTATE.EDU
Sun Mar 26 12:05:51 UTC 2000

From: Ron Rabin (rabinrl at buffalostate.edu)
Subj: d"oner kebap

>         D"oner kebap is made with ground hamburger meat (actually usually
> lamb in Turkey), and is contrasted with shish kebap, which is made with
> chunks of meat. Both are cooked on a skewer.

>>Never had the one made with ground lamb, only thinly sliced lamb.

I too have never seen d"oner kebap made with ground meat, always sliced.
There are kebaps made with ground meat, e.g., Adana KababI.
The verb d"onmek (infinitive suffix) means to turn, or the English sense
of return; the proper name D"onmez (in the negative) means he who does
not turn in (return from) battle but presses on.
D"oner kebap is made on a vertical spit on which has been alternatively
layered lamb and fat, The spit turns in front of a vertical brazier that
cooks it.  Very thin slices are cut off as it cooks.  The meat is placed
on pide (flat bread) that's been cut in small squares.  The meat is then
covered (in the version of d"oner kebap from the city of Bursa that's
popular in many places) with melted butter and a light tomato sauce.