"Mousse" at Delmonico's

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 24 00:48:31 UTC 2000

At 7:33 PM -0500 3/23/00, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>    What does the online OED have for "mousse"?

Here are the first few of the listings.  You remembered the 1892 date
correctly, but I suppose it's fairly arbitrary when a word like MOUSSE
counts as having entered English.  The reference to "biscuits Tortoni"
brings back childhood memories--at the end of every meal in the
neighborhood Italian restaurants I grew up on in NYC (late 1940s, early
50s), the choice for dessert was always "ice cream spumonior biscuit
Tortoni", the former being rainbow [choc/van/straw].  I would never have
thought of those tortonis as belonging to  the same category as mousse,
though.  Of course, it has been a while.

larry
===============

1. Cookery. A frothy dish made with a savoury or sweet purée or other base,
stiffened with cream, gelatine, or egg whites, and freq. served chilled;

       1892 Encycl. Cookery (ed. Garrett) I. 366/2 Chestnut Mousse.-Mix
[etc.]... To serve, dip the mould in hot water, wipe it, and turn the
Mousse out on a folded napkin.

       1892 Encycl. Cookery 949/2 Mousse.-Fr. for froth or foam, and
applied to some forms of culinary preparations, such as Chestnut Mousse,
Chocolate Mousse, Coffee
       Mousse, Strawberry Mousse, &c;

       1899 Daily News 15 July 7/5 While strawberries are still with us,
the following Mousse should be tried.

       1899 Daily News, 15 July 7/5 A peach or apricot Mousse would be made
very similarly.

       1899 Daily News, 15 July 7/5 These Mousses should turn out quite
solid, but will never be hard on account of the cream.

       1906 Mrs. Beeton's Bk. Househ. Managem. xxxiii. 989 Parfaits,
mousses, and soufflés differ from ordinary ices, inasmuch as the cream
preparation is at once moulded
       and placed on ice;

       1908 Daily Chron. 22 July 7/4 A mousse is nothing more than the
addition of whipped cream instead of plain cream when making ices.