on pronouncing "gyros" (recycled Linguist List posting)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 24 03:48:57 UTC 2000

>On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, A. Vine wrote:
>
>> I've seen a remarkably similar sandwich in other countries (England,
>>possibly
>> Belgium, maybe even parts of Germany) called "doner kebabs,"

I've read in the Times that these are quite popular as snack food in
Germany, sold from carts or stands run by Turkish emigrants and guest
workers.

> which might account
>> for the distribution of the responses to the person on the Linguist list.
>
>Do[umlaut]ner kebap is the Turkish version of a dish that I imagine is
>pretty common throughout the Middle East. In Egypt, as best I recall, it
>is called "shwarma".

That's what it's called in Jerusalem too.  Yum.

> It's basically a leg of lamb hung vertically in front
>of a fire and roasted as it is spun slowly around. The cooked parts on the
>surface are sliced off very thinly and served with some condiments on pita
>bread or the local equivalent. I seem to remember that in Turkey you can
>also get it served over pilav, if you want--I may be wrong since I haven't
>been back to Turkey for far too long.

Larry