Shish k"ofte turned into pizza

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 26 14:09:32 UTC 2000

Lynne's story below about the Connecticut invention is gospel here in New
Haven.  Specifically, Frank Pepe's on Wooster Street (founded in the 1930s)
is reputed to be the first pizza establishment in the world, dating back to
when he arrived from Campania (the Neapolitan region) and developed the
idea of dinner pizza from what had been a snack food back home.  I can't
vouch for that chronology (and of course having lived here for 20 years I
can't dismiss it either), but I can vouch for the fact that by early 1964
chronology there were pizzerias in Naples and Rome (two years after Rudy's
visit) whose pizzas were more like the kind dInIs describes (thick crust,
unlike the thin carbonized style for which Pepe's and other New Haven style
apizza emporia are celebrated, with simple toppings of olive oil, tomatoes,
anchovies, and sliced hard boiled eggs) that they were like American pizzas.

larry

P.S.  The story about the Italianate snack pizza, quite likely apocryphal,
that I've heard involves some poor country lad baking up some dough and
then going from place to place begging for food--i.e. the toppings.  I
suppose if things had worked out differently, he might have invented the
burrito or the d"oner kebap.