on pronouncing "gyros" (recycled Linguist List posting)

David Bergdahl bergdahl at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Mon Mar 27 14:56:40 UTC 2000

In the United States, the other most common pronunciations seem to be
the Anglicized /dZaI.rowz/ (like the first syllable of "gyroscope"
with a /z/ on the end), used largely in the South and East Coast, and
/hi.rowz/, apparently based on phonetic similarity with the (probably
unrelated) "hero" sandwich.
--
I'm interested in the pronunciation of "gyroscope" since before it was
taken over by Remington-Rand, my father worked for Sperry Gyroscope in