gyros to gyroscope to gyre and gimble

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Mon Mar 27 15:15:10 UTC 2000

> I'm interested in the pronunciation of "gyroscope" since before it was
> taken over by Remington-Rand, my father worked for Sperry Gyroscope in
> Lake Success, NY and at Sperry it was pronounced with [g]--like the
> Disney character Gyro Gearloose.  However, I have a faint recollection
> of the toy as pronounced with a [dZ]!
> David Bergdahl          http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~bergdahl

This reminds me of Jabberwocky.  I tend to say "dZire and gimble in the
wabe" (i.e., soft g on gyre, hard on gimble), but sometimes I say both as
hard.  This often strikes my students as odd, but they tend to be split
about whether the g's are both hard or both soft.  Is there an "official"
pronunciation?

Lynne

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics