"Cubicle Farm" Technobabble

Joseph Carson samizdata at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Mar 31 04:16:31 UTC 2000

Greetings to all ADS-Listers,

The following came to my attention earlier today, and I thought it might
be of interest to some of you. - Regards, Joseph Carson

Gen X Office Lingo

Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was
missed or a project failed, and who was responsible.

Body Nazis: Hard-core exercise and weight-lifting fanatics who look down
on anyone who doesn't work out obsessively.

Cube Farm: An office filled with cubicles.

Ego Surfing: Scanning the Net, databases, print media and so on, looking
for references to one's own name.

Elvis Year: The peak year of something's or someone's popularity.
"Barney the Dinosaur's Elvis year was 1993."

404: Someone who's clueless. "Don't bother asking him; he's 404." From
the WWW error message "404 Not Found", meanig the requested document
couldn't be located.

Idea Hamsters: People who always seem to have their idea generators
running.

Keyboard Plaque: The disgusting buildup of dirt and crud found on
computer keyboards.

Mouse Potato: The online, wired generation's answer to the couch potato.

Ohnosecond: That minuscule fraction of time in which you realize that
you've just made a big mistake.

Prairie Dogging: When someone yells or drops something loudly in a cube
farm, and people's heads pop up over the walls to see what's going on.

SITCOMs: What yuppies turn into when they have children and one of them
stops working to stay home with the kids. Stands for Single Income, Two
Children, Oppressive Mortgage.

Starter Marriage: A short-lived first marriage that ends in divorce with
no kids, no property and no regrets.

Stress Puppy: A person who seems to thrive on being stressed out and
whiny.

Swiped Out: An ATM or credit card that has been rendered useless because
the magnetic strip is worn away from extensive use.

Tourists: People who take training classes just to get a vacation from
their jobs. "We had three serious students in the class; the rest were
just tourists."

Treeware: Hacker slang for documentation or other printed material.

Uninstalled: Euphemism for being fired.

Xerox Subsidy: Euphemism for swiping free photocopies from one's
workplace.

Source: Oracle Humor, a WebSearch.About.com
Netlink. http://websearch.about.com/msub35.htm)