depth charge

Steve K. stevek at SHORE.NET
Fri Mar 31 19:32:01 UTC 2000

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, GEORGE THOMPSON wrote:

> My own recollection of "depth charge" is the same as Lynne's: a shot
> glass full of whiskey dropped into a glass of beer.  (I have never
> had one, though, nor seen one concocted.)

In the Czech Republic, there is a drink called 'beton,' which translates
as 'concrete.' It's a shot of something called Bec^kerovka, which is some
sort of herbal liqueur, sort of absinthe-like, in a glass of beer.

>From firsthand knowledge, the name is apt, because you feel like you've
been hit with a ton of concrete. I went out with some friends in Brno, and
after three of them, I was completely out of it. (I was also speaking
Czech better than I ever have because any fear of embarrassment of making
a mistake was out the window.)

While i'm at it, 2 other fun drinks are Mozek Larry (Larry's Brain) [I
don't have the right case ending on Larry] which is a large spoonful of
egg liqueur dropped into a sweet, thick red liqueur (kind of like
grenadine). The egg liqueur curdles and looks like a brain. There's also
Mozek Travy (Lawn Brain or Grassbrain), using a thick green liqueur
instead.

Don't get me started on homemade slivovice.

--- Steve K.