T & A; Big O

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Mon May 1 13:12:50 UTC 2000

Last summer, the Department of Applied Linguistics merged with (was absorbed
into) the Department of Linguistics.  It became (as the signature says)
Department of Theoretical and Applied Linguistics.  Or T&A Linguistics, for
short.  I'm the only one that sniggers every time I see or hear "T&A"
Linguistics.  Even other (long-term expatriate) Americans don't get it.  It
doesn't seem to be a phrase that has much currency here, or at least in the
department.

--Aaron

on 1/5/00 9:04 AM, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> I just noticed that I had these antedates.

> T & A
>
> The OED has 1972 for the full phrase, but indicates that Lenny Bruce used
> the term.  He may have coined it.
> ROLLING STONE, 7 December 1968, pg. 6, col. 4, headline, "Tits 'n Ass LP
> Brown-bagged in England."  The album, by Jimi Hendrix (R.S. showed the
> disputed cover), was ELECTRIC LADYLAND.

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron      Departments of English Language and
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                    Theoretical & Applied Linguistics

 "MERE ACCUMULATION OF OBSERVATIONAL EVIDENCE IS NOT PROOF"
     --Death