disrespect

Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Mon May 1 13:59:43 UTC 2000

I boggled slightly at first, but while reading this thread I have realized that
it fits into one of my standard generalizations that not all speakers share:
"dis-" as a reversive prefix for nouns and verbs of affect. Specifically, I use
"to disrecommend" with the obvious meaning. By this rule, "to disrespect" should
refer to an emotion or attitude rather than to its expression, but that's a
short enough step for me to take without discomfort.

-- Mark