letters of the alphabet

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Mon May 1 18:46:31 UTC 2000

Forward all this to the Unicode list and see how many answers you get...
;-}

After "listening in" to the discussions about writing systems, what is a
charatcer, what is a letter, what is an alphabet, etc., I'm convinced that it's
all in the mind of the user.

To me, French has all the same letters, because the diacritics are handled
separately from the base letter.  Think in terms of their sorting rules - given
several words which only differ in their diacritics, the sort order is based on
diacritics from right to left, whereas the letters are judged from left to
right.  If you ask a French person to name the glyph "é" s/he would say, in
French, "e accent acute", or "e with acute accent", rather than some other name
for the letter.  Further, if you asked a French person to write the entire
alphabet, s/he would write:

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

And, I just tested this on a French person.

Now, were you to ask about Norwegian...

--
Andrea Vine, avine at eng.sun.com, iPlanet i18n architect
"The complementarity of priority information actions will reinforce