vowels...

Tue May 2 19:27:19 UTC 2000

Yes, these (near-) mergers are common in southern Ohio too; I got a 3-way
merger of pool/pole/pull to pull in some people (vs. only 2-way in others,
but variably merging to /U/ or to /^/).  I haven't personally tested
bull/bowl, but I suspect it follows the same pattern.  These 2- vs. 3-way
mergers have been described for our area by others, by the way, most
notably by Hankey (1972) and Thomas (1989, 1996).