America's 10 Most-Wanted Words

Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Wed May 3 16:35:31 UTC 2000

Kathleen Miller <millerk at NYTIMES.COM> writes:

That reminds me - I've been looking for just this sort of thing.

Is anyone aware of a word that is formed due to the way something looks?
Like onomatopoeia - but visual instead of aural?
<<<<<

In answer to just this request from a friend a few months ago, I (coined and)
suggested
"iconopoeia".

And Jesse - if you didn't link to the page yet, they're looking for the
female equivalent of phallic.
<<<<<

"Yonic".

-- Dr. Whom: Consulting Linguist, Grammarian, Orthoepist,
   and Philological Busybody