important suggestion re ILOVEYOU virus

Joseph McCollum prez234 at JUNO.COM
Sat May 6 10:38:12 UTC 2000

On Fri, 5 May 2000 10:31:22 +0100 "Aaron E. Drews" <aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK>
writes:
>on 5/5/00 8:48 AM, Kim & Rima McKinzey wrote:
>
>> Another important suggestion is to have a Mac.
>>
>> Rima
>>

>>>From what  I understand, it's a macro virus.  That is one thing Macs
>are not immune to (speaking from experience).  Macs can quite easily
execute
>scripts, which I think is what the love bug is.
>
>Macs may, in fact, be immune.  But don't allow yourself to fall into a
>false sense of security.

Another way (I hope) is to have an old text-only mail reader without a
full-blown connection to WWW.  Alas, there is no way to delete a message
without  reading it...I think I'm OK, though.  What I see of the ILOVEYOU
virus is written in Visual Basic -- does that run on the Mac?  Anyway,
the statements I see here explicitly reference Windows filestructures.
Wow, I've never seen a virus before -- let alone any source code for it.