Bay Area

Donald M. Lance LanceDM at MISSOURI.EDU
Sun May 7 19:44:28 UTC 2000

In his files, Peter Tamony has a number of instances of ads and references in newspaper
articles to "The City" being a reference to San Francisco in much of California.  When a
developer built a mall in Orange County south of Los Angeles and called it The City, there
was a slight furor over the choice of the name.
When people near St. Joseph MO say they're going to The City, it's clear they're going to
KC.  I don't think it's used much in the St. Louis area.  And just as San Franciscans
don't say Frisco, St. Louisans don't say St. Louie.
DMLance