Velvet Revolution; Happening, Action Artist

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 8 17:30:01 UTC 2000

   Only a few hours before I see Teatro Negro (black light theater).  It
starts at 9:30 p.m., just in time for you to be robbed and killed as you
leave the theater.
   Lou Reed (www.loureed.org) performed in Prague on May 5th.  This is from
the PRAGUE POST, May 3-8, 2000, calendar section, pg. B5, col. 1:

   ...The Velvet Underground, was so admired by Vaclav Havel that it may have
inspired the term "Velvet Revolution."

   From pg. A16:

_Eugen Brikcius: Poet on the roof_
_"Action artist" will have a Happening atop the Lucerna May 16_
(col. 2--ed.)  He also found work in 1967 as an adviser to Jindfich
Chalupecky, the art historian then heading the Vaclav Spala Gallery on
Narodni trida.  It was there that Brikcius discovered Happenings: mixed-media
artistic events of a theatrical nature, pioneered in Paris in 1959 by Allan
Kaprow and in America by Robert Rauschenberg and Claes Oldenburg.  Says
Brikcius: "I wanted to turn words into flesh."
   His first two Happenings of 1967 were at Easter, when he put eggs on every
chair at a student cafeteria, and later that spring on Kampa island, where he
produced a "Still Life" with 80 frothing half-liter glasses of beer.