tump

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Mon May 8 18:01:03 UTC 2000

Here is my new favorite word:  TUMP.  I used to live with a TUMP (I
drove, I cooked, I mowed the lawn, I proofread), and I'm glad to see
that someone else (Wendy Cope, it seems) has noticed this interesting
demographic group.

Below is an in-context definition.  I first found the word yesterday in
a local newspaper's interview with McGough.  (McGough is British
Telecom's Poet in Residence.)  These are the only two instances of the
word I've seen (both in reference to the same person, but I assure you,
it is a needed generic term).  Am investigating whether Cope's used it
in print.  I encourage everyone to use it in a sentence today (if you
don't know a TUMP, you can use it in an analogy or something).

Lynne Murphy
Campaign Manager, TUMP for WOTY 2000

 -----

Roger McGough
British Telecommunications

MARCH 2000

Greetings from this technonovice dipping his toes into the www thanks to
BT.
In the words of fellow poet Wendy Cope, I am a TUMP..ie, a Totally
Useless Male Poet...one who can't drive, mend a fuse, type, or needless
to say, use a PC. However, in the interests of poetry and our mutual
desire for better communications, I will give it my all (or, at least
bits of my all).

----

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics