Bic (haircut) and dot-com-ers

Chuck Borsos sqeezbox at CRUZIO.COM
Mon May 8 22:31:54 UTC 2000

Yesterday I heard the mother of a high school student describe a boy of her
aquaintance, saying that "he got a bic".  When I asked what that was, she
said he had shaved his head for water polo.  She said that is called a
"bic" because of Bic disposable razors.  I don't know if it means a
particular style of shaving the head.

Our community is close to Silicon Valley, though somewhat shielded since
between here and there is a treacherous mountain road.  Lately around here
I have heard people who work in the computer industry referred to as
"dot-com-ers" (and I'm inventing a spelling here).  As in, "Those
dot-com-ers are really driving up the housing prices."  Seems to be a case
of "us vs. them" definition.

Chuck Borsos
Santa Cruz, CA