A little coffin (eclair) with your meal?

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue May 9 14:46:58 UTC 2000

   Greetings again from Prague.
   For those who have not been to Wenceslas Square:  there's a KFC on one side, a McDonald's on the other, and an Oracle building behind the Bohemian Museum.  Booths sell hot dogs and Cokes all along the way.
   I visited the Jewish quarter today; the synagogues have been renovated.  It was packed with tourists today--Italian, German, French school kids--also looking at the holocaust wall.  What's with these dead people/culture tourist attractions?

LITTLE COFFIN--It's an eclair.  McDonald's should serve these with their Happy Meals.

DRUNKEN FRANK--On pg. 94 of my CZECH NATIONAL COOKBOOK (1998) by Hana Gajdostikova.  Made of dough, walnuts, sugar, vanilla pudding, chocolate icing, and red currant jelly.

BEAR PAWS--On pg. 95 of the CZECH NATIONAL COOKBOOK.  Dessert made with almonds, lemon, cinnamon, cloves, egg, cocoa.

MOUSE (sic?  Moose?) HORNS--Also on pg. 95.  Dessert of egg whites, sugar, and almonds.

SWISS CHICKEN--Ham and Cheese.

IMPERIAL CHICKEN--Ham, asparagus, cheese.

SWEDEN CHICKEN STEAK--Fruit, raisins, wine.

SIRLOIN BY JEWISH--Garlic, mushrooms.

DEVIL'S FONDUE--Blood liver.

ARROW OF ROBBER--"assorted meat, feferon, bacon, onion."

LUGE--A fellow traveler from Utah told me that I-15 near Salt Lake is called the "luge" because the highway has those walls surrounding it.

CONDOMS--A machine sold these in the subway.  (Hmm.)  The machine said "Men's Shop" and "Cosmetic Shop" on it.  A condom is a cosmetic?

PEACE SIGN/THUMBS UP--A subway ad for Hypermarket Globus showed a woman who gave the "peace sign" with one hand and "thumb-up" with the other.  If she had a third hand, I'm sure she'd do "OK."

FORTRESS EUROPE; RACE TO THE BOTTOM--Both terms were used in today's International Herald-Tribune.  "Fortress Europe" was used in a story about Spanish violence against immigrants.  "Race to the bottom" is the theory that economies will compete with each other to go lower and lower to attract business.  I'll check JSTOR and NEXIS and other when I get home.

     DRINKS:

BOMPARI--strawberry monin, passion fruit
MAMBO--pineapple juice, monin juice
MALINOVE SVETLE--beer, rasp. liq.
RYBI OKO--beer, peppermint liq.
CHURCHILL--beer, campari