Velvet Revolution; Naked Lunch

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed May 10 16:58:19 UTC 2000

At 5:40 PM +0100 5/10/00, Lynne Murphy wrote:
>> >   The name The Velvet Underground was lifted from a pornographic novel.
>> >
>> Wasn't it borrowed from William Burroughs' NAKED LUNCH?  If so, that's no
>> more (and probably less) a pornographic novel than ALICE IN WONDERLAND is a
>> kiddies' book or MOBY-DICK a story about whale-watchers.
>>
>> larry
>>

>Steely Dan was taken from Naked Lunch, right?  How many band names can a
>single
>novel produce?
>
>Lynne
Yes, IIRC Steely Dan (from Yokohama?) was a dildo in NL.  And there's an
eponymous Naked Lunch band as well.  I figured there would be so I checked
on google, and sure enough...

Naked Lunch - The style employed by Naked Lunch is one of pure hatred, and
sample laden techno-terrorism. Heavy to a point, and
       danceable to the extreme symposium #6.

In the unlikely event that anyone is interested, their web site is
http://www.groovenet.com/nlunch/default.htm

So that's three bands from the same novel, and counting.  If anyone wants
to look for more, the entire novel can be found at
http://www.bigtable.com/library/naked_lunch/1.html

larry

P.S.  Another band, Soft Machine, was named for another Burroughs novel.