Black and tan; shandy

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Wed May 10 21:19:04 UTC 2000

on 10/5/00 6:30 PM, A. Vine wrote:

> Actually, some English use the term "lemonade" for "soda" in general.  The
> most
> popular soda is a lemon-lime flavor, but I don't think the term exclusively
> means that.  I think that doubles for German "Limonade" = "soda", but I'm not
> sure about Italian.

"soda" (water and carbon dioxide, no flavors) is called "soda" here.  If you
want a scotch and soda for example, you won't get a whisky and lemonade.

There's also "juice" in Scotland, which is the equivalent of Kathleen
Miller's Coke/pop/soda.

--Aaron

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron      Departments of English Language and
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                    Theoretical & Applied Linguistics

 "MERE ACCUMULATION OF OBSERVATIONAL EVIDENCE IS NOT PROOF"
  --Death