DIALECTS

Derrick Chapman derrickchapman at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed May 10 23:46:02 UTC 2000

I would recommend contacting acting/drama instructors to see if a dialect
coach is in your area, especially if the woman is a particularly bright and
imitative person.  Learning a dialect as taking on a "role" rather than as
correcting a deviation from "standard dialect" is more palatable <no pun
intended> and more technically correct from a linguistic perspective.  It's
also much more fun.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Barbara Robinson
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2000 5:56 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: DIALECTS

I'm trying to find out if anyone can give me recommendations of how an
African American business woman can improve her use Standard American
English when dealing with individuals from diverse ethnic backgrounds in her
business.  I want to know if there are any special  literacy programs or
strategies that  an SLP would recommend.  Please advise soon!  Thanks
Barbara.