Half and Half (was Re: lemonade)

Bruce Dykes bkd at GRAPHNET.COM
Thu May 11 08:29:06 UTC 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Lynne Murphy <lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Date: Wednesday, May 10, 2000 2:09 PM
Subject: Re: lemonade

>American-style lemonade is "still lemonade", but the fizzy lemonade bears
no real
>resemblance to American lemonade.  It's clear and tastes more like sugar
than like
>any citrus fruit.  Bitter lemon is, of course, something else again.  While
I was
>living in South Africa, Schweppes re-named "bitter lemon" as "dry lemon" in
order
>to boost sales.  It was nearly as common as Coke (a lot more common than
Pepsi) in
>places where you could by canned drinks.  The renaming seems to have been
>particular to South Africa, though.

In Italy, you also have the bitter lemon/lemonade non-distinction. Which is
to say, bitter lemon-style lemon sodas are available, and generically
labelled as limonata, as are vaguely lemon flavored sugar water concoctions.
I don't recall offhand what you have to ask for if you want the lemon soda
vice 7up...I always used the brand name, one of which was 'Lemon Soda'. <g>

>Whenever I'm in the States, I look for bitter lemon, but for the last 10
years or
>so it's been impossible to find in supermarkets.  I did find it in
Bellingham, WA,
>which I guessed was because of its proximity to Canada.

I have no problem finding Bitter Lemon in my supermarkets in northern NJ.
They stock it right next to the mixers, the seltzer, tonic water, Dr.
Brown's Cel-Ray, and Tom Collins (Schweppes) mixer, which also comes in a
green 1 liter bottle like 7up or Bitter Lemon. There's also, just so I can
drag this back to the Half and Half subject header, Half and Half (store
brand), which is like Bitter Lemon, but with half the flavoring being
grapefruit. This might be the same as the Tom Collins mixer, but I think I
recall seeing a store brand Tom Collins mixer as well...

bkd