"Wife-beater" as article of clothing

Bob Haas highbob at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri May 12 18:52:24 UTC 2000

You're right, Ron.  Besides, I've been thinking about it and Stanley never
wears an athletic tee; he wears regular, white tees.  They just get torn up
a lot.

I think I was conflating STREETCAR and RAGING BULL--sort of A RAGING
STREETCAR NAMED BULLISH DESIRE--and the brutish behavior of the respective
protagonists.  (Is Stanley the protagonist?  A topic for another list.)

BUT despite my obvious errors of fact--the mark of a true academic, one who
continues to argue all the more vigorously when he is admittedly
wrong--can't a literary source be the inspiration for a term, without the
term itself being used in the source?  Never mind, I suppose then the
story/movie/novel would no longer be the origin, but the inspiration for the
origin.

I am quieted.

bob