"Wife-beater" as article of clothing

Bob Haas highbob at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri May 12 21:57:53 UTC 2000

Good point, Ron, but just for the sake of argument (things are slow
following the semester, and I'm putting off writing) couldn't such a term
finding a language community some 40--going on 50--years after the film
reflect not the sentiments of the film, but the callousness of the folks who
actually use such a term?  You know, the kind of TV viewers who actually
enjoy COPS.