wife-beater

Pauline Bryant Pauline.Bryant at ANU.EDU.AU
Sun May 14 00:25:39 UTC 2000

As far as I can make out from the descriptions of a wife-beater t-shirt, this is what is called a singlet in Australian English. It's shaped like a tank top (no sleeves), and the neckline is lowish - doesn't come right up to the neck. It's made of
white ribbed machine-knitted cotton. As well as being an undergarment, singlets are worn as an outer garment by athletes and boxers and by men like builders' labourers doing hard physical work.

I haven't heard the expression 'wife-beater t-shirt' in Australia yet.

Pauline Bryant