Brits seek favourite

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Thu May 18 14:38:25 UTC 2000

From
http://www.theword.org.uk/
What's Your Favourite Word?
  Home? Mum? Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious? Quidditch?
  "Tell us what your favourite word is, and why? Vote by postcard or on the
net. The playful object is to find out people's favourite single word in the
English Language, a sort of cultural and linguistic Doomsday Book for the
beginning of the new Millennium."
  Bob Geldof, Trustee of The Word, The London Festival of Literature
  Tell me your favourite word and why (in less that 50 other words) email me,
geldof at theword.org.uk and we email you back the definition from the Encarta
World English Dictionary
  Proceeds from sponsorship of this site and the project will go to support
the Education Programme of The London Festival of Literature and to subsidise
scholarships for young people to attend the e-conferences throughout the UK.
Each week all answers will be raffled and the winner, drawn from the hat,
will be given an Encarta World English Dictionary to donate to the school of
their choice. For the first thousand votes on the website, Bloomsbury will
donate £1 to the British Dyslexia Association.
  The Nation's Favourite Word will be announced on the first day of the
Festival at The Globe, Bankside on 22 September 2000.

and for some announcements of favourites, see
http://www.foxnews.com:80/etcetera/051800/f_word.sml

- Allan Metcalf