diphthong - dipthong

Thu May 18 14:59:41 UTC 2000

I would take 'dipthong' in the reference to Sinbad to
be a comedic variation or expansion of 'dip', which in
my experience refers to someone whose actions indicate
a lack of thought or who simply isn't too bright.
'Dip', 'Dip ahead', 'Watch for dip in road', etc.
signs have always been good for a laugh with my
family.

Maybe the question should be which came first, 'dip'
or 'dipshit'.  I was using 'dip' long before I'd even
heard 'dipshit'.  To me the latter has always seemed
to be a vulgur embellishment of 'dip' with the intent
of making it more insulting.  But maybe my experience
has things reversed.

As Erin pointed out, 'dip(h)thong' is a pretty funny
sounding word all on its own: even though it's spelled
with 'ph', I think most people pronounce a simple 'p'.