diphthong

Erin McKean editor at VERBATIMMAG.COM
Thu May 18 23:07:43 UTC 2000

Since I'm not the best judge of a pronunciation I went and (gasp) looked it
up. M-W gives the second pron as "dip-". It's nice to know that it's not
just me who is dissimilating the sound (it so often is).

If it makes any difference, at Scott Foresman (a big, big textbook company
for those of you not involved in K-8 education) you never hear "diphthong"
used to describe these sounds. It's always "digraph" or maybe "cluster." I
haven't checked all the teachers' guides, but I don't recall seeing it in
the latest edition. I think it is a conscious effort to avoid using a term
some teachers might find offputting, funny, or strange.

--Erin