Phonetics quiz

Paul Harm pkh at OFFTHEPAGE.COM
Fri May 19 19:37:40 UTC 2000

For all of you who aren't familiar with the city.  Homewood, where this
school is, is an almost entirely black neighborhood.  The three other
schools mentioned in the full article are also in black areas: St. Benedict
the Moor in the Hill District, St. Agnes in Oakland and St. James School in
Wilkinsburg.  Since this is from a local paper, much of the racial
backstory is assumed to be known.  You now might be able to better answer
the quiz questions.

At 03:12 PM 5/19/00 -0400, you wrote:
>News from Pittsburgh.
>  Quiz: What were the nonstandard sounds in "did," "my," "bed" and "dad" that
>the children were expected to change? - Allan Metcalf
>
>Poetry helps city kids become well-versed
>   Friday, May 19, 2000
>   By Carmen Lee, Post-Gazette Staff Writer
>[abridged version; full story at
>http://www.post-gazette.com:80/neigh_city/20000519speech5.asp]

[snip]

--
Paul Harm
Technology Innovator, Off the Page Productions