diphthong and dictionaries being wrong

Derrick Chapman derrickchapman at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon May 22 16:47:08 UTC 2000

"Before one boldly claims that a dictionary is "wrong," one should see
whether a particular syllabication/word division is consistent with the
stated editorial policy of that dictionary.
DMLance"

As I introduced the word "wrong," let me rephrase.  Dictionaries are often
not the last word (ouch!) in word usage, definition, pronunciation, or
syllabic division.  Yet they are used as an infallible authority by people
who should know better.

Not being a clerk/cleric of the repressive lexico-scribal Establishment, I
am often wont to point out that the spoken word (language) has priority over
the written representation(finguage).  (Okay, I made that last word up.)