QUERY: British "Word" v. American "Words"

Sallie Lemons Sallie.Lemons at MSDW.COM
Thu May 25 14:32:35 UTC 2000

While we don't have many bagpipers in New York City (except on special occasions),
this comment made me think of a fellow who used to beg on  the 7th Avenue subway
line that runs on the West Side. He adorned himself with a headband that had two
springs on it with balls on top and carried a bashed up saxophone.  He played, by
his own description, "Martian music"--by any standard, a kind characterization. He
would tell passengers that he would play until they paid.  The police or someone
must have stepped in because I didn't see him for a while.  He reappeared with
outfit and accessories, but prefaced his usual spiel with, "I mean no harm to
anyone, but ..."