QUERY: This one's gonna be fun...

Lyons, Jennifer M jlyons at NETMARKETGROUP.COM
Thu May 25 20:25:28 UTC 2000

Well, I'm 21, and I would say "hooking up".  I called a (21yo) friend who is
known for having lists of such words, and she came up with "making out",
"messing around", "fooling around", "getting busy".  My 24yo fiance drew a
blank after "hooking up", as did I.

I'll see if I can find any more.

Jen

-----Original Message-----
From: Kathleen Miller [mailto:millerk at NYTIMES.COM]
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2000 4:08 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: QUERY: This one's gonna be fun...

Safire's been outta college for more years than I've been alive. Me, only
seven years have passed, but when he asked me - "what's the phrase kids are
using today to mean 'getting to first base'?" - mugging, scamming, and
hooking up all seemed terribly out of fashion.

Those of you who still have contact with people under 30 - what say you?

Katy

Kathleen E. Miller
Research Assistant to William Safire
The New York Times