missionary position

jester at PANIX.COM jester at PANIX.COM
Thu May 25 20:59:36 UTC 2000

> I don't find "missionary position" in RHHDAS.  Anybody have any
> information as to the earliest appearance of the phrase or of the
> veracity or otherwise of the legend that explains it?  (The legend
> being that it was so called by Pacific Islanders, since the
> missionaries were trying to coerce them into abandoning all other
> postures and fornicating in that position exclusively.)  I'm sure
> that I had heard it before 1971.

We didn't consider the phrase "missionary position" to be
slang. In any case, Barry Popik has recently posted several
messages with increasingly early examples of the phrase, going
back to the mid-1960s. However I have since discovered a 1948
example which does, indeed, attribute the phrase to Trobriand
Islanders who used it to describe the sexual position used
by English and American missionaries.

Jesse Sheidlower
Oxford English Dictionary