sophomore CD, etc.

Gregory {Greg} Downing gd2 at IS2.NYU.EDU
Thu May 25 21:36:25 UTC 2000

At 05:15 PM 5/25/2000 -0400, Mark Mandel wrote, replying to :
>>Greg Downing wrote:
>>And before it was a music-industry term it was a college-student term -- the
>>dreaded "sophomore slump" was a well-discussed phenomenon when I was in
>>college 20 years ago.
>>

>That's a straightforward application of literal use of "sophomore", referring
>to the second year of college. As I understand it, the question targets the
>*extension* of the word to refer to the second of a (any?) sequence: a second
>CD, second movie, etc. The sophomore slump (again, AIUI) isn't a "second
>slump", but a slump in the sophomore year, after the student has exhausted
>zer freshman momentum or encountered more challenging courses.

Just to make my point in the quoted wording explicit and perhaps clearer: As
I understand it, most of the "sophomore x's" that were originally queried
about were *negative* in thrust, and therefore ulteriorly may have grown out
of the possibly pre-existing and definitely negative "sophomore slump" idea.

Greg Downing/NYU, at greg.downing at nyu.edu or gd2 at is2.nyu.edu