Computer dictionaries

Steve K. stevek at SHORE.NET
Fri May 26 16:54:55 UTC 2000

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Paul McFedries wrote:

> I'm doing some research on computer dictionaries. I'd be interested in
> hearing opinions on any existing dictionaries. Are there any that you've
> found to be particularly helpful, complete, or accurate? As a computer user,
> what makes a good computer dictionary? Do you know of any reviews of
> computer dictionaries?

There are dozens, if not scores, of computer dictionaries, ranging in
price and breadth. Houghton Mifflin (American Heritage), Random House, and
Websters New World have them (I apologize if MW does too, I don't recall
off the top of my head), Microsoft of course does, and numerous computer
publishing houses do, and then there's the ones that are available on
line. What's helpful to one user depends on their level of expertise.

The upcoming issue of Dictionaries will have a review of PC Novice's
Computing Dictionary, written by me, for additional info.

--- Steve Kleinedler
(American Heritage Dictionary)