Popette; Gyro

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 29 03:16:04 UTC 2000

POPETTE

    I was just watching MTV (The Tom Green Cancer Special) and left the tv on
to catch another MTV program.  Someone called the Britney Spears/Christina
Aguilera type of person a "popette."  This would be a young, female "popster."
    There was one hit on Deja.com; the term was used in some news groups for
"female pope."
    It reminds me of Ronnie and the "Ronettes."
    Does "popette" have a future?

GYRO

    I'll have more to say on "gyro" after I check some Chicago publications.
    "Gyro" is rarely seen in Greek cookbooks.  This is from THE FOOD OF
GREECE (1975; 1992 reprint) by Vilma Liacouras Chantiles, pg. 155:

     _GYRO_
    [Spitted spiced lamb]_
    _Gyro, gyro oli_ is a favorite children's game, comparable to farmer in
the dell, which describes the round-and-round motion of _gyro_.  Since
spreading to Greece from the Middle East, industrious Hellenes have brought
it to the United States (New York is spinning with _gyro_ restaurants), and
one more snack has been added.  On a vertical spit, which turns electrically,
or is run manually by the _mikro_ (apprentice), the meat is roasted to
flavorful crispness.  I adapted this recipe from a tasty snack in Crete.  To
make at home, grill outdoors (horizontally when lacking a vertical grill),
and indoors, broil--delicious.  (Recipe follows--ed.)