Biscotti; Calzoni; Chicken Kiev; Quiche Lorraine

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue May 30 02:25:49 UTC 2000

   O.K., the Knick-Pacer game is over.  I'm in the middle of my laundry.

BISCOTTI

   Am I the only one who's heard of biscotti?  Not in OED, not in Mariani,
and not in Ayto.
   BISCOTTI!!!
   From GOURMET, October 1955, pg. 69, col. 2:

Q: At Italian weddings and christenings they serve a cookie called _biscotti
di regina._
MRS. JOE F. CACIOPPO
HOUSTON, TEXAS
A: Fit for a wedding, a christening, or a coronation are these dainty--
   _Biscotti di Regina_
   _(Queen's Biscuits)_
   Cream 1 cup butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in 1 egg
and add gradually 1/2 cup milk and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract.  Sift
together into a bowl 5 cups flour, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons
double-action baking powder.  Make a hollow in the center and gradually work
in the butter-sugar mixture.  If the dough seems too dry, add more milk.
Shape the dough into a ball and chill it in the refrigerator for at least 1
hour.
   Wash and drain well 1/2 pound sesame seeds.  Break off pieces of the
chilled dough the size of walnuts and flatten them slightly between the
palms.  Roll the biscuits in the sesame seeds and bake them on a cookie sheet
1/2 inch apart in a hot oven (450 degrees F) for 10 to 12 minutes, or until
golden brown.  Makes 5 dozen biscuits.

CALZONI

    The OED has no entry for "Calzone/Calzoni."  It is mentioned in the entry
for  another Italian food (zeppole) in 1976.
    GOURMET, May 1955, has "Calzoni" on page 67.

CHICKEN KIEV

   The OED cites the 1950 GOURMET cookbook.
   "Chicken Cutlet a la Kiev" is in GOURMET, July 1948, pg. 59.