metadata.

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed May 31 20:43:03 UTC 2000

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Kathleen Miller wrote:

> First in Dow Jones 11/06/1987
> First in New York Times -  April 10, 1983 - wedding announcement for daughter
> of Joseph A. MacDonald, then (maybe still) president of Metadata. The first
> time it is used as a word in its own right in the Times is 1999.

The earliest occurrence of _metadata_ on Nexis is in Computerworld, Aug.
2, 1982.  The earliest example I can readily find, period, is in the
proceedings of the 11th American meeting of the Institute of Management
Sciences (1970).

Fred R. Shapiro                             Coeditor (with Jane Garry)
Associate Librarian for Public Services     TRIAL AND ERROR: AN OXFORD
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            ANTHOLOGY OF LEGAL STORIES
Yale Law School                             Oxford University Press, 1998
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu               ISBN 0-19-509547-2