Heavens to...

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Nov 1 12:40:34 UTC 2000

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:

> "Heavens to Betsy" is apparently entirely mysterious in its origin. It is
> discussed at the M-W Web site and at Quinion's site. There is a book by
> this title by Charles Earle Funk (1955, now available in paperback), in
> which Dr. Funk reports his failure to establish an 'etymology'.

The OED's first use for "heavens to Betsy/Betsey" is dated 1892.  Making
of America yields the following earlier example:

1878 _Harper's New Monthly Mag._ Sept. 582  "Heavens-to-Betsy!  You don't
think I ever see a copper o' her cash, do ye?

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,