Los Angeles Free Press (1964-1965)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Nov 3 01:08:30 UTC 2000

   I went through about a year of the Los Angeles Free Press.  By the way, it
wasn't free.  It was ten cents.  The price has since been dropped--free at
last!

17 September 1964, LAFP, pg. 1, cols. 4-5--(Photos of political buttons,
including "peace" sign.)

24 September 1964, LAFP, pg. 1, cols 1-2--(Photo of the closed "CAFE
EXPRESSO.")

24 September 1964, LAFP, pg. 2, col. 2--MONEYTHEISM. (...)
"God gives me--100%
I return to God--10%
Balance to me--90%"

24 September 1964, LAFP, pg. 4, col. 2--...I still prefer the non-offensive
such as "having intercourse" or even "mating" of the rather clumsy "making
love"...

24 September 1964, LAFP, pg. 5, col. 1--The "puff-in" calls for a large group
to light up marijuana cigarettes in the police station, challenging the law.
(...)  He had first announced to the press his intention to "turn-on" at the
police station.

22 October 1964, LAFP, pg. 2, col. 2--Here is a list of names, those who
constitute the real creme de la creme of Los Angeles power and influence.
This is "the establishment."

12 November 1964, LAFP, pg. 1, col. 1:
_"KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE PRIZE"_
(Pg. 3, col. 1--ed.)
_"Snick" Challenges The White Power Structure_
(...)  One of their songs goes:
Paul and Silas, bound in jail,
Had no money for to go their bail
Keep your eyes on the prize--hold on...

19 November 1964, LAFP, pg. 4, col. 4--One last word, and I continue this
letter because I did enjoy being in California, and would not waste my time
writing, if I did not feel strongly assured that the marvelous will happen as
suddenly there in LOBSTER LAND (to quote Jack Smith) as it did happen in New
York City.

26 November 1964, LAFP, pg. 12, cols 4-5 cartoon:
The _real_ people don't have beards after all!
But if I shave mine off now--I'll look like a phony trying to look like a
_real_ person.

3 December 1964, LAFP, pg.1 headline--OUR OFF-OFF BROADWAY.

18 December 1964, LAFP, pg. 2, col. 1--DAMNED IF YOU DO AND DAMNED IF YOU
DON'T.

22 January 1965, LAFP, pg. 2, col. 1--THE NEW STATE OF DISNEYLAND: To
immunize the city of Los Angeles against further Disneyfication, Disneyland
could be made a separate state...

12 February 1965, LAFP, pg. 2, col. 1--ONE STEP FORWARD AND TWO STEPS BACK.

19 February 1965, LAFP, pg. 6, col. 3--In Japan, the Gutai group started off
the current wave of happenings in the early 1950s with an art show in the sky
(balloons, kites, etc. from the roof of a department store)...

5 March 1965, LAFP, pg. 2, col. 1--WHEN YOU GOTTA GO--The latest movement is
a civil rights movement to restore to Americans the right to free toilets in
public places.  (...)  The wording of the Proposition had not yet been
annnounced, nor has the Proposition been given a number as yet, but the Wasp
(Lawrence Lipton's column--ed.), always first in every good movement,
suggests the slogan: VOTE YES ON No. 2.

19 March 1965, LAFP, pg. 2, col. 1--THE STRATEGY OF ONE FELL SWOOP: Or is it
the Swell Foop?

19 March 1965, LAFP, pg. 3, cols. 1-2:
_WHAT'S IN A WORD?_
_"PHUQUE" WON'T DO_
(Free speech on Berkeley campus--ed.)

16 April 1965, LAFP, pg. 5, cols. 1-3 ad:
LARRY MOYER'S
"THE MOVING FINGER"
Winner "Best Director" Award
San Francisco Film Festival
SEE...Freakos...wierdies (sic)...sickos...corrupt fuzz...faggots...wasted
youth...smut...
(The illustration shows "the finger."  RHHDAS doesn't cite/"finger" this
film. I couldn't tell you about the script.  Movie reviews of this film
should be checked for "the bird"--ed.)

30 April 1965, pg. 5, col. 1:
_NO FREAKO FOR MOVING FINGER_
(Larry Moyers, a 41-year-old New Yorker, says he made the film in
1962-63--ed.)
(Col. 5--ed.)
   "The (sic) showed it to the exploitation guys and they said, 'There's no
tits, there's no ass.  There's nothing in this damned picture.'
   "So I said, 'Why don't we cut all these things right into the picture.  If
they want tits and ass, let's give 'em tits and ass.'  Which was a
revolutionary thing then."
(No "T&A" though--ed.)

14 May 1965, LAFP, pg. 1 headline:
_Teach-Ins, Teach-Outs, White-Outs_.

21 May 1965, LAFP, "WHITE-OUT BLACKED-OUT," pg. 1, col. 3--...a "White-Out"
covering their exhibits of paintings and sculpture with bands of white papers
bearing the stop escalation symbol of the protest movement.
("Peace" symbol?--ed.)

28 May 1965, LAFP, pg. 2, col. 2--The question is whether or not the
particular pbject is so-called "hard-core pornography".

25 June 1965, LAFP, pg. 7, col. 2--Mr. "Jesus H. Christ"?

25 June 1965, LAFP, "MAN, JUST TELL IT LIKE IT IS," pg. 6, col. 2:
   The actors are articulate and voluble about the play.  "This play is
different because it's the truth," they tell you.  "We go on stage and we
tell it like it is."
(Col. 4 end of article--ed.)
   As you walk out into the street, an actor calls after you in Negro tones,
"When you write it, man, tell it like it is, just tell it like it is."