fronted /oU/

Sat Nov 4 21:04:45 UTC 2000

Yes, and as I've said earlier and elsewhere, southern/southeastern Ohio
represents both the upward extension of the Southern Shift and the westward
spread of the West Penn/Pittsburgh vowels (see Hankey 1972, in the Raven
McDavid festschrift).  Someone cited West Virginia's vowel fronting also;
our eastern end of Ohio shares a lot of features with WV.  When I mentioned
"older people" though, I was citing from my 20-year perspective in
Ohio.  The very first sound that struck my ear when I came for my interview
at OU in 1980 was the fronting of /ow/--not in OU gownies, of course, but
in many then middle-aged townies (my landlady that year was 40-ish, which
would date her from the 1940s or a bit earlier).  I would guess that it has
spread through southern Indiana and Illinois in the period Tim mentions.

I agree with Arnold that RP is not the source but would also remind him of
the great differences between northern, central, and southern Ohio (as I'm
sure he knows).  Erik Thomas found the fronting in younger people in the
Columbus area, but his sites aren't really in southeastern Ohio, where the
feature has been around longer.  Most of our undergrads at OU are in fact
from northern and central Ohio, and they regularly notice, and mock, the
local speech of Athens County and environs--this is truly hillbilly and
"southern" country to them.